Wine Club at Gertie and the Giant Octopus!
Many years ago, a college writing professor assigned a choose-your-own-topic persuasive essay to my class. Perhaps unsurprisingly for those of you who know me (either personally or through my food), I chose to write about Italian wines by region and their corresponding culinary regional offerings. My thesis? What grows together, goes together.
Fifteen years in the restaurant industry and many wine tastings later, it’s my pleasure to announce the release of my first wine club! Great wine doesn’t have to be enjoyed in a restaurant; I want to share my favorites with our patrons in a more flexible way. Whether you’re hosting a Zoom happy hour or just trying to add some flair to your evening dinner routine, joining the wine club is akin to glancing over a restaurant’s extensive wine list and telling the sommelier “surprise me.”
It’s been a challenging year for all of us, and we’ve had to find unique and creative ways to connect, keep things interesting, and learn and grow. The goal of this monthly wine club is to allow us to continue to share our values and passion for great food and wine, even from a distance. Every wine I select will come from real farmers, not factories, and from earth that is nurtured, not exploited. The wine will be affordable and delicious. I seek wines that excite me, and I want to share that feeling with you!
-Executive Chef @ Gertie and the Giant Octopus
A few house “rules”
● Be open. You might be trying something new or revisiting a grape/region you once turned your nose up to. My goal is for us all to experience delicious wine in a playful and affordable way while expanding our palates.
● If there’s something that is really not for you or the wine is corked, bring the bottle back in with you within a week of receiving and we will trade it out for you!
● Learn. Each care package will contain a sheet of helpful bits of information. I’m not talking about a tech sheet with tasting notes that no one understands: think more along the lines of what to expect and how to treat the wines, food pairings, or even movie recommendations.
● If you really like something, we can extend special pricing for purchases of 12-packs of that particular wine. No smaller quantities are permitted special pricing.
How many wines?
● 2 bottles per month is $50 plus tax (1 white/rose, 1 red)
● 3 bottles per month is $75 plus tax (1 white/rose, 2 reds)
● 6 bottles per month is $150 plus tax (1 sparkling, 2 whites/rose, 3 reds)
● Pick up only. Orders are assembled the last week of each month, and orders will be available for pick up beginning the first week upon our call or text to you.
● You must sign up prior to the 25th of the month to receive that month’s wine. If we receive your order on the 25th or later, you will receive the following month’s wine. For example, submitting an order on October 24th will allow you to pick up wine the first week of November. Submitting an order on October 25th will allow you to pick up wine the first week of December.
● There is no minimum subscription period or expiration date. Cancel any time you wish after your first order. 10 business days notice is much appreciated.
● You may not specify preferences such as only reds, higher-end, all rosé, etc. We’d be happy to accommodate your preferences for when you join us to dine in the restaurant, but the wine club is about opening minds and expanding tastes.
● You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase. Proper ID will be required for pick up. No packages may be left unattended or picked up from someone under the age of 21.
If you’re on the hunt for anything in particular, please send a request to
and we can look up pricing and availability.